Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"The Thirteenth Tale"


September's book is "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. Jennifer Ruggles is the MOM. I believe that the meeting will be back at Jenae's house, yes?

This is a gothic novel set in modern day England. An eccentric, super-famous author has told a different story of her life every time she was interviewed. Now, old and in ill health, she wants an obscure, amateur biographer to write the tragic story of her family. Both her secrets and those of the biographer must be revealed. Lots of mystery. When I closed the back cover of this book, I immediately flipped it around to the front and wanted to read it again right then.

This is Diane Setterfield's first book. She was born in 1946 in England. Before writing, she studied French literature and taught in public and private schools. Wikipedia says she is currently working on a second book. Woo hoo!

The manuscript for this book inspired a bidding war among publishers in the UK and the US. It was the first book chosen by the Barnes & Noble Recommends program. It hit #1 on the NY Times bestsellers list one week after it was published in September 2006.

Study questions to be posted later.

10 comments:

Leslie said...

I am so excited to RUN OUT and buy this book!! OK...have Thomas RUN OUT and buy it! If you aren't oppossed to it Jennifer, I think the MOM gets the opportunity to host the meeting in her own home. Then again, if you are the MOM you get to do whatever you want! Where shall it be then??

Shel said...

Yay... I do need to go get the book and make another attempt to see how far I get in this one :) I seem to be improving.

Jennifer said...

As the MOM, I say Jenae's. You up for that Nae Nae?

Shel, each page you turn is a triumph.

I already ran out and bought it. And already loaned it out. And miss it.

Shel said...

I bought the book today :) That is a step in the right direction for me... wahoo!!

Leslie said...

If Nae-Nae says, Nay. I say, yay (to having it at my house). =)

Jenae said...

um... we can have it at my house... but I have to kick all you party girls out at 9:30 so I can get my beauty sleep. I leave for work at 5:45 am!!!!

Leslie said...

I am in the middle of this tale and I can't sleep at night without dreaming the dark and confusing dreams of the story. Anyone else dreaming of The Thirteenth Tale?

Leslie said...

I am in the middle of this tale and I can't sleep at night without dreaming the dark and confusing dreams of the story. Anyone else dreaming of The Thirteenth Tale?

Alisha said...

I totally dream about it.

I'm ready for the study questions MOM! Although I can't judge you if you don't actually post any... because I didn't last month. I was such a bad MOM. :)

Leslie said...

The location for Tuesday's meeting has changed. It will no longer be at Jenae's house...it will be at Leslie's (again) =)! Please refer to new post for details. =)